Friday, June 29, 2007

Teaching Theology

I am preparing to teach a class called Christian Doctrines. It is a systematic theology class. I am really looking forward to it. The textbook is Erickson's Introducting Christian Doctrine, which is something of an abridged version of Erickson's classic Christian Theology. These are both great books for a study in theology. The first is a bit more managable with about 450 pages while the other one is more a reference book with about 1300 pages (not really a quick read).

The class will follow the standard format of most systematic theology classes (for the most part - there are some differences):

Revelation
God and His Work
Humanity and Sin
Christ and His Work
Holy Spirit and His Work
Salvation
The Church
The Last Things

It will be really good for me to prepare the notes for this class. I really enjoyed my theology classes at Seminary. In fact, I think theology should be the most exciting topic anyone every studies, as it is the study of God Himself. And that study of God should always find its end in application. In other words, theology is not something we simply know, it is something we do.

I have been gathering several theology books over the last year. I will have great sources for preparing. I hope to incorporate more of the history of theology than in the classes in which I learned. I think it would be good for students to get at least some teaching on some of the thoughts of theologians throughout the centuries (I posted previously on a resource for this HERE).

For example, what did Gregory of Nazianzus say about the Trinity in the 4th century? "The divine nature cannot be apprehended by human reason, and...we cannot even represent to ourselves all its greatness.". What was Cyprian's thoughts on the make-up of the church in the 3rd century? "The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous; she is uncorrupted and pure." (that is, the church is made up of believers). I think these things insights will help the students greatly with understanding the shape theology has taken over the years.

Well, anyway, like I said, I am looking forward to teaching this class. Now all I need is students.

1 comments:

Mark said...

I have the Charles Hodge and B.B. Warfield sets if you want to look at them.