Friday, September 26, 2008

The Comfort Which Comes From God

In our last study of the Psalms of Ascents, the psalmist was lamenting to God concerning the persecution he faced from others. In Psalm 130, the psalmist turns introspective and cries out to the Lord because of the conflict inside.

Read Psalm 130 (NASB, NIV, KJV)

Here is my working outline. As always, suggestions are wanted and desparately needed.

The Comfort which Comes from God

I. We can cry out to the Lord (1-2)
we can cry out and He answers

II. We can have forgiveness with the Lord (3-4)

III. We wait on the Lord (5-6)
III. We have faith in the Lord (5-6)??

wait = hopeful expectation
         A. Based in His Word (5)
         B. Sure as Morning (6)

IV. We have hope in the Lord (7-8)
this is because of His ...
         A. Lovingkindness/Loyal Love (Heb. Hesed) (7a)
         B. Redemption (7b-8)
                    1. Abundant (7b)??
                    2. Complete (8)??
                    (are these these the same thing??)

After the last few psalms, this one seems much more self-explanatory. However, there are just a couple of issues I will point out to clarify my outline. The first two verses are clear that the psalmist cried out to God and asks him not only to hear and be attentive to his pleas. Anyone with children or dogs realize the difference between hearing and being attentive. The psalmist wanted God to act in response to his request.

Verse 3 and 4 are about forgiveness. Thankfully, the psalmist says, that God forgives those who surrender their lives to Him. Forgiveness can be found, but it is only found through God on His terms, which is the foot of the cross of Christ.

Verse 5 and 6 are where I want to expand my thoughts a bit. Here the psalmist commits to waiting on the Lord. "Waiting" in scripture is an expectation of God to work. So he waits and does not take matters into his own hands. He waits because God's Word says God will act for His people. Because of his trust in God and His Word, the psalmist is more sure of God acting than the sun rising in the morning (6). If the title is the issue of comfort in trying times, which the psalm seems to be about, then I am not sure if "waiting" or "faith" is more comforting. I tend to think emphasis on waiting is more comforting because it indicates I know God is going to act and I am waiting for it. It may be all semantics and not worth worrying over.

Finally, the psalmist is comforted by the hope we have in the Lord. The clauses in the text indicate this hope is due to God's Loyal Love (Hebrew: Hesed - tranlated many times as Lovingkindness but is probably better translated Loyal Love - see interesting articles here, and here). The psalmist also has hop in the Lord because of his redemption. Because of the "and" found at the beginning of verse 8, it seems like he is praising God for his "abundant" redemption and his complete ("all iniquities") redeption. However, these almost sound the same. Obviously, redemption is the other source of his hope. Again, the other issue of abundant and/or complete is simply semantics...probably.

As I think of hymn used in today's churches, one does not immediately come to mind which captures the essence of this psalm. The Baptist Hymnal uses Psalm 130:1 for the basis for the hymn "Out of My Bondage, Sorrow, and Night," which sounds like a great song but I do not think I have ever heard it. I think a more appropriate and interesting pick for a hymn which conveys the author's intent is "Heaven Came Down" (click here to listen). I may change my mind but for now, I think I like this pick.

O what a wonderful, wonderful day, day I will never forget;
After I'd wandered in darkness away, Jesus my Savior I met.
O what a tender, compassionate friend, He met the need of my heart;
Shadows dispelling, with joy I am telling, He made all the darkness depart.

Heaven came down and glory filled my soul, (filled my soul)
When at the cross the Savior made me whole; (made me whole)
My sins were washed away and my night was turned to day,
Heaven came down and glory filled my soul! (filled my soul)

Born of the Spirit with life from above into God's family divine,
Justified fully thru Calvary's love, O what a standing is mine!
And the transaction so quickly was made, when as a sinner I came,
Took of the offer, of grace He did proffer, He saved me, O praise His dear name!

Heaven came down and glory filled my soul, (filled my soul)
When at the cross the Savior made me whole; (made me whole)
My sins were washed away and my night was turned to day,
Heaven came down and glory filled my soul! (filled my soul)

Now I've a hope that will surely endure after the passing of time;
I have a future in heaven for sure there in those mansions sublime.
And it's because of that wonderful day, when at the cross I believed;
Riches eternal and blessings supernal, from His precious hand I received.

Heaven came down and glory filled my soul, (filled my soul)
When at the cross the Savior made me whole; (made me whole)
My sins were washed away and my night was turned to day,
Heaven came down and glory filled my soul! (filled my soul)

1 comments:

Mark said...

I think you got the Psalm laid out well. Prayer (v1-2), forgiveness (3-4), Wait (5-6) and Hope (7-8). I want to preach from this text sometime in the near future. I haven't really put an outline together other than what I just mentioned. The two key words or phrases are waiting on the Lord and hope in the Lord.