Thursday, September 25, 2008

My God Will Deliver Me

In our journey through the Psalms of Ascents, we have encountered a couple of psalms which seems a little different and hard to summarize with one thought. That is perfectly normal for psalms, as they were songs and not meant to be analyzed in the fashion in which we are doing. However, because they are additionally the Word of God, we can look at them in a critical fashion and pull out the message we are intended to receive through them. In 127, there seemed to a strange shift from vanity to family. In 128, the issue of family continues only to change into the topic of corporate worship. In 129, the psalmist seems to go back to communicating one idea through the entire psalm. In this case, he is concerned about persecution.

Read Psalm 129 (NASB, NIV, KJV)

Here is my working outline for Psalm 129. Like the many before it, it needs work and I need your help in that. Please help me and those reading through this blog with your comments and suggestions.

Still Working on Title - maybe God Delivers

I. The enemy's persecution...(1-4)
         A. Was often (1-2a)
         B. Has not prevailed (2b)
         C. Was intense (3)
         D. Was stopped (4)

II. God's Retribution...(5-8)
The enemies of the God will ...
         A. Be turned back/put to shame (5)
         B. Wither (6)
         C. Be unfruitful/ineffective (7)
         D. Be un-blessed (8) (I know it is not a word)

The psalmist, with psalm 129, pens a lament of the persecution he faces simply for being one of God's people. He begins by repeating how many times the enemies have persecuted him, ever since he was a child. They continually persecuted him. However, he is clear to point out they have not prevailed. He brings in word pictures of farming to show how intense these persecutions have been. It is as if they have plowed on his back and made their furrows long and deep. This is no light trial. However, even thought they consistently and intensely persecuted him, God in His righteousness puts a stop to it. Using another farming metaphor, the cords indicate the reins one would use on a plowing animal. They have been plowing on my back but God cut the reins and they stopped. The psalmist is lamenting to God concerning the persecution he has faced but then praises God for his deliverance from those trials.

The psalmist moves into a discussion of God's retribution of those who rebel against Him.

Rabbit Trail: hating the Lord does not mean an atheist or a Satan worshipper. Hating the Lord in Scripture is someone who disregards the Creator and Sustainer of life. They are the ones who say "So what if God has said thus and so. I will life my life as I want." These are the haters of God. This principle is affirmed in the New Testament as well. James 4:4 says, "Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God." (NASB) Jesus says in John 14:1, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." (NASB) In the mind of God, one either loves Him and lives in accordance to His word, or one hates Him.

The psalmist looks to God's retribution of those who hate God. God will first put them to shame. "Turning back" and "put to shame" are in parallel here and are used to say the same thing.

God will also cause them to wither like the grass which grew on the their rooftops. In the Ancient Near East, houses were made of clay and had flat roofs. Dirt would collect on these flat roofs and many times grass and weeds would begin to poke up through the ground. However, since the soil was so shallow, the grass would quickly wither. The psalmist says this would be like those who hate God.

Additionally, this grass would not help anyone who was harvesting. the reaper would not be able to harvest anything from this grass. Nor could the one binding the sheaves find anything to bind from this grass. In essence, the reaper and the binder would be ineffective. This is the plea of the psalmist. God will make His enemies ineffective.

Finally, the psalmist indicates that the enemies of God would not receive the blessings which others usually would put forth to others. They are not blessed. Since the psalm ends on this issue, one could place this side-by-side with the previous psalm and see a comparison of those who are blessed by God and those who are not. Perhaps that is the point of this psalm.

I am not sure about a song we know today which captures the point of this psalm. There are not many hymns which sings about God's retribution on those who live their lives independent of them. However, the other side of that coin is the issue of God's deliverance of this people. Thus, perhaps "He Hideth My Soul" would then be appropriate. I will tentatively post it as this psalm's modern equivalent until a better one is brought to my attention (click here to listen).

A wonderful Savior is Jesus my Lord,
A wonderful Savior to me;
He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock,
Where rivers of pleasure I see.

He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock
That shadows a dry, thirsty land;
He hideth my life with the depths of His love,
And covers me there with His hand,
And covers me there with His hand.

A wonderful Savior is Jesus my Lord,
He taketh my burden away;
He holdeth me up, and I shall not be moved,
He giveth me strength as my day.

He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock
That shadows a dry, thirsty land;
He hideth my life with the depths of His love,
And covers me there with His hand,
And covers me there with His hand.

With numberless blessings each moment He crowns,
And filled with His fullness divine,
I sing in my rapture, oh, glory to God
For such a Redeemer as mine!

He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock
That shadows a dry, thirsty land;
He hideth my life with the depths of His love,
And covers me there with His hand,
And covers me there with His hand.

When clothed in His brightness, transported I rise
To meet Him in clouds of the sky,
His perfect salvation, His wonderful love
I’ll shout with the millions on high.

He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock
That shadows a dry, thirsty land;
He hideth my life with the depths of His love,
And covers me there with His hand,
And covers me there with His hand.

0 comments: