Friday, June 06, 2008

My Help Comes from the Lord

(See the Addendum to this post here)

The second Psalm of the Ascents is Psalm 121. Psalm 120 expressed the psalmist dissatisfaction with living where he is at and his longing to go home. It marks the beginning of his journey. Our current psalm, Psalm 121, is about his journey. He has set out and is traveling to Jerusalem. And on his journey, he knows the Lord will keep him safe.

Read Psalm 121 (NASB, NIV, KJV)

The word for "watch" or "keep" is used six time in these eight verses (3, 4, 5, 7-2x's, 8). It is about God watching over his people when they are journeying through life. Here is my rough draft outline:

My Protector Watches Over Me

I. My Protector is the Creator (vv. 1-2).

II. My Protector is Vigilant (vv. 3-4).
     A. He keeps me from slipping (3)
     B. He never sleeps (4)

III. My Protector is Powerful (v. 5).

IV. My Protector is __________ (vv. 6-8).
     A. He watches over me all of the time (6)
     B. He watches over all my life (7)
     C. He watches over me no matter where I am (8)

This sermon, like the one for Psalm 120, should provide the audience with encouragement that, while they are in the middle of the journey, and things may look dangerous, God is one who watches over them, no matter the time or place.

I am struggling with this outline. The most obvious thing above is the phrase for point IV. I want something like "complete" or "comprehensive" but those are not exactly what I am looking for. I am always a sucker for alliteration (it helps me remember as I am preaching and it can really help the audience remember when they walk out the door) so ideally, the last word in each point would begin with the same letter. That is really not necessary, though. I think the title should be stronger - it is a bit elementary. Even the lost will look up to the sky sometimes and say, "someone up there is watching me." Maybe that could be the title?

Again, I covet your input. Am I accurately relaying the text as the author intended? Do you have any suggestions on the outline or the general message of the psalm? Let me know.

As I said in the previous post, I want to end each of these sermons with a song we sing today which captures the idea of what the psalmist was communicating. I will point out, I will not be singing them (that would just be cruel) but reading them. For this psalm, I chose, His Eye is On the Sparrow (click to listen).

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

0 comments: